fredag 27. juli 2012

Some more show and tell...

I'm really sorry it's taking me so long to write these blogposts, it seems blogging is just not prioritized when it's summer. Not that this summer has been the greatest, it's just rain, rain, rain... But it gives me a lot of time to sew!

Soooo.... Let's see if I can pick up the thread where I left you.

My birthday is in june, and I usually have a little party with my closest family and friends.
I made a cake for my birthday this year, and a couple of people have been asking me on Flickr for the recipe.
That's a little hard to give you, since there is no specific recipe for the cake, but I'll try!
But first, a photo of it:


I make a regular sponge cake:

(I write it down in metric measurements, and try to convert it to US measurements)
You will need a round pan that is about 26 centimeteres (10-11 inches) in diameter.

6 eggs
2 desiliter white sugar
2 desiliter all purpose flour
1 desiliter potato flour
2 teaspoons baking powder.

US:

6 eggs
0.85 cup white sugar
0.85 cup all purpose flour
0.42 cup potato flour
2 teaspoons baking powder.

Whip the sugar and eggs until it's stiff and forms peaks in the bowl.
Sift flour, potato flour and baking powder, and carefully mix it with the eggs/sugar until it's blended.
Grease and flour your pan and pour in the batter.
bake at 160 degrees celcius (320 fahrenheit) for about 40 minutes (you will have to check the cake with a toothpick to see if its done).
Cool completely.

Decorating:

You will need marzipan for this! I buy mine and roll it out myself.
So...
First you split the cake in half and moisten it with milk or juice. Then fill it with what you like, I usually go with razberry jam and vanilla cream. This one however, I filled with chocolate mousse and sliced banana!
Cover the cake with a thin layer of whipped cream.

Make 2 paper circles that are about 4 inches smaller in diameter than the cake. Center one of the circles on the cake.
put the mazipan on top of the cake and the paper circle
(  A little advice on rolling marzipan: Use flour and make sure the marzipan does not stick to the surface of your table. You can easily brush the flour off the marzipan when you are done).
Take the other piece of paper and center it on top of the marzipan. Mark around it with the dull end of a knife (dont cut through the marzipan!!!). Remove the paper, and cut like you do when you cut a pizza. Roll out the "slices" of marzipan to the edge of the circle.
Remove the paper circle that was underneath the marzipan.
Put on whatever berries you like. Strawberries, razberries, blueberries etc...
Just before serving, sift confectioners sugar on top of the berries.
This is very yummy, and for those of you that don't usually get marzipan cake, you should really try it! It tastes really good. But if you are allergic to almonds, please don't try this.

Enjoy!

I'll try to make another blogpost sooner this time:-)

3 kommentarer:

Deborah sa...

This looks so delicious!!! I'm not much of a cook so could you please send me one! Ha ha!!

LethargicLass sa...

looks great!

Timi sa...

This cake looks great!!!
I've never heard about "potato flour"!! :o)))